This past weekend, I really, really, wanted brunch. I'm a huge fan of brunch, because every brunch food you could ever think of fall under the category of "my favorite foods." Yet, going to brunch would mean spending money, and the last thing I wanted to do was get in the cold and go spend money that I didn't feel like spending in the first place. Hence the experimenting I did in the kitchen, and the creation of this delicious Turkey & Green Pepper Frittata.
Now a frittata is basically a crustless quiche. You could make any quiche dish without the crust, saving you money and the extra calories, and still get the same tasty results. So after a bit of research on how to make a crustless quiche, I decided to try one of my own. I think what made me fall in love with this recipe is the fact that I already owned all the ingredients! Talk about saving great money!
It really only took me six ingredeints to make a crustless quiche! Here they are:
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/3 package of ground turkey
- 1 cup of shredded mexican cheese
- 1 cup of green peppers & onions
- Taco seasoning packet (I made it homemade, here's a simple recipe if you have all these spices)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat some oil on a pan. First cook the turkey, and ground it up while cooking. When it starts to get brown, throw in the peppers & onions. Sprinkle taco seasoning on top, the continue to stir until turkey is cooked and veggies are soft. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the eggs and the milk.
- Once taco mixture is cooled, slowly mix it in with the egg mixture. Add cheese last and mix as well.
- Spray a glass pie pan before pouring the mixture.
- Cook for 45 minutes. Serves 6 slices.
Now keep in mind that this could work with any combination, so feel free to mix up the cheese, veggies, and meat that you throw in. I'm looking forward to trying a caprese style frittata next. What other crustless quiche/frittata combinations should I try?