I know the holidays are officially in full swing, but I can't seem to kick the craving for cinnamon, apples, and other fall weather foods quite yet. Especially if it means being able to throw them on top of french toast for a delicious weekend breakfast!
One of my favorite things to do on the weekend is make a big breakfast. Usually I start my mornings with something small to eat. Typically it's between an egg on toast, or greek yogurt, or cereal, or a protein shake. Oliver isn't one to eat breakfast in the morning, so I try to keep it small so we can save money and buy bigger meals for dinner. However, my treat for trying to stay good throughout the week is one big breakfast on Saturday morning. I've experimented with crepes, omelettes, and different combinations of pancakes and french toast. This Apple Cinnamon French Toast was something I whipped up a few weeks ago. I ate it so fast that I think I may have blacked out. It was so good I hardly remember even eating it!
- 1 apple, chopped into small bits
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 4 slices of sandwich bread
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of milk
- Cinnamon sugar
- Turn a skillet on medium heat and melt the butter. After a few seconds, throw the sliced apples on the skillet and cook until the apple bits soften. Next, throw in the brown sugar, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Stir for a few minutes (about 3-5) before removing heat. Let it cool.
- For the french toast, combine the egg and milk into a small bowl. Dip the bread into the egg mixture and coat both sides with cinnamon sugar before placing on the griddle. Flip like you would making pancakes. The edges will get dark because of the cinnamon sugar.
Makes 1-2 servings.
Any breakfast recipes you've been obsessing over lately? Something you've been wanting to learn to make? I love trying new things on the weekend! I count them as one of my money-saving activities...since cooking at home really doesn't cost much.